Get a $300 Bonus* with a Checking Account Built for You
Free Checking Account
Use promo code: SEPT30013 to be eligible for your $300 bonus
Citadel offers a Free Checking Account with benefits and features that make banking easier, safer, and more rewarding. You will enjoy built-in conveniences and flexibility such as Mobile Deposit, Card Control, no minimum balances and more! Open Now.
New to Citadel? We're glad you're here! Our Free Checking Account offers a convenient and simple application process that will make your experience fast and easy. You can easily open an account online in minutes by answering a few simple questions. Open now!
Current member and don’t have a Checking Account yet? It’s easy to open a checking account in Online Banking! Simply select 'Open an Account' from the 'Accounts' menu to open. Get Started!
Not currently enrolled in Online Banking? No problem! Enroll Now.
Don't miss out! This offer expires on November 13, 2021.
Please note: our current $300 checking offer is limited to new checking customers only.
It’s easy to earn your $300 Bonus when you meet these requirements:
- Qualifying direct deposit(s) totaling $500 or more to your new checking account within 60 days of account opening
- Account must be open for 60 days before your checking bonus will be deposited
- Offer limited to new checking customers only
No Minimum Balance
There’s no monthly fee on this account—even if your balance is $0.^
24/7 Banking Convenience
Manage your everyday banking needs right at your fingertips with Online and Mobile Banking – deposit checks, transfer funds and more!
If your account has insufficient funds to cover a check or transaction, we can help.††
- Contactless Debit Card - simply Tap & Go™ wherever you see the contactless symbol at checkout. Use your card everywhere Mastercard is accepted
- Enjoy all benefits from Mastercard
- Control your cards with Card Control
- ATM Access – Enjoy no fees or surcharges at branches and with 38 Citadel-branded ATMs in select retail locations. In addition, enjoy access to surcharge-free networks across the country. Find a branch or ATM
- Online and Mobile Banking with Mobile Deposit – Manage your accounts, set alerts, transfer money, pay bills, and more
- eStatements – Save money by choosing secure electronic delivery. View statements any time, from any device
- Direct Deposit – Get your funds quickly with automatic deposit into your account
- Overdraft Protection – Enjoy overdraft protection from a Citadel savings or loan account††
- To review all of the product features, check out our Product Guide
With your Free Checking Account, everyday banking is easy and convenient with our digital tools:
- Account Alerts for fraud, spending limits, and more
- Instant control of your cards with Card Control
- Online Bill Pay
- Citadel Mobile App with Mobile Deposit
- Convenient monthly eStatements
- Free budgeting and personal finance tools through Money Manager
Open a Free Checking Account online today!Get Started
Each balance inquiry at non-Citadel ATMs
Each ATM withdrawal at non-Citadel ATMs3
Paper account statement fee (excludes ages under 21 and age 70 years of age and older)
Each overdraft transfer from your savings or loan account2
Monthly inactivity fee^
Courtesy Pay overdraft protection fee††
Non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee
Take our quick checking quiz below to find out which account is right for you!
Find out which checking account is right for you!Take the quiz
Introducing Citadel Video Connect
We've introduced a new way to bank, making it easier than ever to chat face-to-face with a local Citadel team member. The best part? You can connect with us safely and securely from anywhere — with just a few clicks on your laptop, desktop computer, or your mobile device. Learn more.
- Citadel is committed to helping you protect your hard-earned money.
- All Citadel deposits are federally insured up to $250,000 per member by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the United States government.
- Communicate with us securely through our Online Banking secure messaging system.
- Your Citadel Debit Mastercard carries EMV chip technology for greater protection against unauthorized use.
- Automated fraud alerts can notify you about possible fraudulent activity on your account.
Find an ATM or Branch Near You
Frequently Asked Questions
Members can withdrawal funds of up to $600 per day for ATM withdrawals that includes any surcharge fees. For example, if you wish to takeout $600 and the ATM charges a $3 fee the most you withdrawal is $597.
You can order checks easily in Online or Mobile Banking. Simply login and choose 'Accounts', then 'Order Checks' from the left hand menu. Select the checking account you would like to order checks for and follow the on screen instructions.
Yes, your Citadel deposits are Federally insured for $250,000 or more by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
It's pretty simple to set up direct deposit. Be sure to talk to your employer about a direct deposit form or see if you can update it online. You will need to supply your account information for direct deposit. For the IRS, please be sure to give your account information to your tax accountant or the IRS when filing.
This is what you'll need:
- Our bank routing number – 231380104
- Your account number – You can find this on the bottom of your checks directly to the right of the bank routing number, you can also find this in Online and Mobile Banking by following these quick steps:
- Once you’ve logged in, click into the account for which you would like to review the electronic funds transfer (EFT) account number.
- Once you are in the account history view, select the ‘Details’ tab, next to ‘Transactions’.
- On this tab you will see, ‘ACH (EFT) Account Number’.
Still have questions? Visit our help center.
*Free Checking Account Disclosures
Information accurate as of and is subject to change without notice. All rates expressed as Annual Percentage Yield (APY).
All Citadel Checking Accounts:
† ATM transactions at non-Citadel ATMs may be subject to a surcharge from the ATM owner. For a list of ATMs with no surcharge, visit Citadelbanking.com/atm.
†† Citadel offers several overdraft protection options, including Courtesy Pay and automatic transfers from a Citadel savings or loan account. Please contact us to discuss the best overdraft protection options for you.
An overdraft occurs when the available balance in your account is not sufficient to cover a transaction. Citadel offers several options for you to avoid the potential embarrassment and extra expenses caused by a bounced check or insufficient funds. These include:
- Transferring funds from a Citadel Savings and/or Money Market Account
- Advancing funds from a Citadel Personal Line of Credit
- Courtesy Pay
As a Citadel member, if you have a checking account and qualify, you will automatically be enrolled in Courtesy Pay when you open your account. If you wish to use one of the other options, which may be free or less expensive than Courtesy Pay, you can sign up at any time. To learn more, please ask a Citadel Representative. For a complete list of fees associated with overdrafts, please refer to Citadel’s fee schedule.
This notice refers to our Courtesy Pay program:
Citadel offers Courtesy Pay for its members and may pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- ACH withdrawals
- Bill Payer payments
- Recurring debit card transactions (e.g., monthly payments debited from your account)
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined and not paid.
If you want to use Courtesy Pay to pay overdrafts for one time, everyday debit card transactions (e.g. Starbucks®, Home Depot®, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.), you must opt in and give us your permission. You can opt in by:
- Completing the opt-in form in Online and Mobile Banking by selecting 'Courtesy Pay' under 'Accounts' in the main menu.
- Visiting any Citadel Branch
- Calling Citadel toll free at (800)-666-0191
You cannot use Courtesy Pay to pay for overdrafts on ATM withdrawals.
When you use Courtesy Pay, we will charge you a fee of $33 each time we pay an overdraft. There is no limit on the amount of total fees we can charge you for overdrafting your account. Any fees charged will count against your Courtesy Pay limit. For information on Citadel's check clearing policies, please contact us at (800)-666-0191. You can opt out of Courtesy Pay at any time. Please visit any branch, or contact us at the toll free number above.
^A $5 monthly inactivity fee will apply if there is no activity on any Citadel account for one year – this fee is waived if combined balance of all deposit accounts is $500 or more. Fee does not apply to primary account holders less than 13 years of age. Inactivity is defined as a 365-day period during which there were no customer-initiated transactions on any Citadel account.
All standard account requirements apply. Information accurate as of and subject to change without notice. Offers may be modified or withdrawn at any time. Fees may reduce earnings.
*$300 New Account Cash Bonus (Cashback Rewards and Free Checking Accounts):
Open a new checking account and earn a $300 cash bonus deposit for qualifying direct deposit(s) totaling $500 or more posting to the new checking account within 60 days of account opening. A qualifying direct deposit is defined as a recurring electronic deposit into checking account of payroll, pension, Social Security, government benefits, or other eligible regular monthly income.
Promotional code must be applied at the time of account opening to receive the incentive offer(s), given all requirements above are met. Checking account must be open for 60 days before checking bonus will be awarded. Bonus deposit(s) will be automatically deposited into your Citadel Checking Account if the account is in good standing at time of incentive processing. The value of this bonus will be reported to the IRS and the recipient is responsible for any federal, state or local taxes on this offer.
New Account Cash Bonus offer available to qualified new checking customers only. Customer must not have closed a Citadel Checking Account within the last 12 months and/or previously received a checking new account bonus. Limit one offer per household per lifetime. Offer may not be combined with any other new account offer. New Account Cash Bonus offer expires November 13, 2021 and may be modified or withdrawn at any time.
**Earn up to an Additional $120 with Citadel’s Cashback Rewards Checking:
To earn Cashback Rewards and avoid $10 monthly service fee, one of the following criteria must be met: Receive monthly qualifying direct deposit(s), as previously defined, totaling $1,000 or more OR maintain average daily balance of $5,000 in your Cashback Rewards Checking Account. Account must be active and in good standing in order to receive Cashback Rewards Checking offers. Not available for business accounts or public funds.
Earn Up to $120 in Cashback Rewards Annually:
When Cashback Rewards transaction requirements are met, earn 1% cash back on Citadel debit and/or credit card purchases that post to your account each statement cycle from Citadel debit and/or credit cards linked to your Citadel Cashback Rewards Checking Account. Maximum Cashback Rewards: $10 per month. Cashback Rewards will be calculated at month end on net purchases (purchases minus any credit or returns). Available Cashback Rewards may be redeemed at any time during the year through Online and Mobile Banking or by contacting Citadel. Earned Cashback Rewards can only be deposited to your Cashback Rewards Checking Account. For full Cashback Rewards program details and disclosures, visit CitadelBanking.com/CashbackChecking
©Citadel. All rights reserved. Federally insured by NCUA.